<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10582443\x26blogName\x3dPink+Lemon+Twist\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8358867803839361769', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

This is a pair of socks

Or it will be someday soon...This is 6 ounces of Romney lambswool and alpaca. Kinda makes you want to pet the monitor doesn't it? The best part of it is that I met the ram whose lambswool this is. His name is Eugene. I got the roving through a local farmer who was at the Leesburg farmer's market last fall. She didn't have the roving there, but had samples so I ordered it from her. When Caleb (my four year old) and I went to pick it up we got to meet Eugene and some very friendly goats. It was a big day for me and the little city boy! I'm spinning it into one ounce skeins of singles which I will then dye teal, blue, and violet. Then, with one single of each color, I'll end up with two balls, 3 ounces each of 3 ply. That's the plan anyway. I have a little over an ounce left to spin, then the dying begins. I've never done 3 ply before so that should be an adventure. Just in case you're wondering, the spindle I'm using is my Emily from Mielke's Farm. It's about 1.1 ounces with a rosewood whorl and its definitely one of my favorite spindles. I actually started spinning last June after going to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival for the first time. One look at all of those wonderful rovings and yummy soft colors, I just had to have an excuse to buy some, but I kept telling myself that I had too many other things going on. Well, obviously I gave in. I learned how to spin on the drop spindle and I'm so glad I did. I like that it goes a little slower than a wheel, gives you plenty of time to figure out how to draft and you can really take your time to learn how to get a consistent, well spun yarn since the "equipment" is so easy to use. I also have to say, I love the history the spindle has and it just amazes me when I think of how many millions of yards of yarn and thread have been spun on the simple drop spindle. Don't get me wrong, I love my wheel, and for a person with a short attention span like myself, the wheel can't be beat for spinning up large quantities of fiber. There's just something I love in the simplicity of spinning with a drop spindle. (As a side note, anyone who's interested in spindles should join Spindlers. Its a Yahoo group and there is a button on my sidebar that you can use to join. Its a very active group of people who chat about all things fibery with an emphasis on spindles.) In yesterday's comments, someone asked how I knew how many yards I had on my niddy noddy: most niddy noddies are made in increments of a yard (or a meter). Mine is 1.5 yards, so I just count how many times I go around it and multiply that by 1.5. Yes, I did count all the wraps of the pink yarn in yesterday's post, but each time I reached 100 I marked it on a piece of paper and started over. I figured that was the best way not to mess up. Finally, today is the Chinese New Year...this is the Year of the Rooster. Happy New Year everyone!


Blogger Rebecca said...

Looks good! Are you going to spin all of it on your spindle?

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home