Yesterday I mentioned that I was going to have to figure out a way to get Mickael's socks finished, my July project of the month done, and get started on my gloves for Camp Loopy project 2 on July 15. All of these projects are fingering weight on DPN's and while all of them are portable to a certain extent (the gloves might not be), I'm not doing anywhere near as much sitting and knitting during the Summer as I do during the school year. I realized that while I'm closer to finishing Mickael's socks than I am the two projects I hadn't started (I can't even start the gloves until the 15th), they were the one project with no deadline. Mickael isn't wearing wool socks right now and won't for a few more months. I decided to get started on my July Knit Something of the Month project and see how far I could get on it before I started the gloves. Mickael's socks were just going to take a little time out.
At the first of the year (or the end of last year, it's hard to remember), I picked 12 yarns from my stash and 12 patterns and bagged them all up. I would do shawls the first two months and starting in March, do socks every other month. July is a sock month but I had decided I didn't want to make the socks I'd picked out for July. My yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Ravenswood and I love the color, but Lorna's Laces ALWAYS pools at the gusset, which I didn't really want. So I went to Ravelry and looked up projects that had been made with this yarn, hoping to find a sock that didn't have gusset pooling. What I found wasn't a sock at all, but it solved the pooling problem and the overabundance of DPN projects as well. It was the Morning Surf scarf from Spin Off Summer 2008. I figured since it's my club, I can change the rules if I need to. So my July project isn't a shawl or socks, it's a scarf. Here's what I did last night after dinner (obviously, blocking will make a difference):