<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10582443\x26blogName\x3dPink+Lemon+Twist\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8358867803839361769', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, February 05, 2015

More Sewing!

I don’t know if you remember or not, but a very long time ago I made a muslin of the Wiksten Tank to check the fit.  (It wasn’t made out of actual muslin.  It was made from some quilting cotton with tractors all over it.)  I tried it on, figured out what needed adjusting (the back neck), adjusted the pattern accordingly, and then did nothing more.

Fast forward to yesterday and I got out some tencel that I’ve had in my stash since Caleb was two years old and made myself a Wiksten Tank!  I know it looks black in the photo (it’s still pretty dark here this morning), but it’s actually a very dark, blue green.  If there was a navy equivalent of blue green, this is it.  I almost ended up using black thread (which probably would have been fine), but I finally found the exact color in thread.

This is a pretty easy pattern, although some of the finishing might be more than a beginning sewist* might want to tackle.  It has French seams and a bias bound neckline and armholes.  The pattern has a small, front pocket, but I skipped that.  Total time, from pressing the fabric before cutting, all the way to having a finished tank, was just under three hours.  I think I could cut down on that time on future tanks because I’ve done it once now.  Also, working on such a super dark color at night taught me that I need better lighting in my sewing room!  I think this tank will be great to layer under all those cardigans I’ve knit, but I’m thinking about making a few in cotton lawn to wear this summer.

*I think the actual term for someone who sew is “sewer” but that reminds me of a sewer which is one of the Top 5 Places I Don’t Ever Want To Be, Ever.  (Yes, I have a list.)  I prefer the term “sewist” although I suppose you could use seamstress, but that sounds like someone who knows a lot more about sewing than I feel like I do.



Post a Comment

<< Home