<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10582443\x26blogName\x3dPink+Lemon+Twist\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8358867803839361769', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Friday, January 08, 2010

I solved my crochet problem all by myself!

DSC03753
I'm feeling quite proud of myself right now. It feels the same as the first time I cast on for knitting and didn't have to look up "Casting On" in a book. What did I do? I changed the start for the tiny squares for Babette and now they seem to be the correct size. On the left is a medium square with two tiny squares done as the directions tell you to. You can see that the tiny squares are a bit too big to fit two along each side of the medium square. On the right is a medium square with two tiny squares done with a sliding loop start like I mentioned trying yesterday and clearly, these guys fit better.

None of the squares are blocked yet of course, but using the sliding loop which allows me to tighten up the center of the square makes it just the right size to fit to the medium square. I can't take responsibility for the technique of the sliding loop - I learned that in Beyond the Square - but since I learned the technique for my little star flower motifs that I made last Fall, I realized that it might be just what I needed to make the tiniest blocks for The Babette (I think it needs a "The" in front, don't you?) the perfect size. If you look, you can see that the tiny blocks on the right don't have a center hole, while the rest of the blocks do (and will, as I continue to make them). I don't think this is noticeable and I certainly don't want to downsize the rest of the blocks. Do you guys think it's noticeable?

Have a great weekend and stay warm!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger punkin said...

Brilliant. I like it better. I will remember that.

12:02 PM  
Blogger auntiemichal said...

The smaller center holes look better on the small blocks; there aren't enough corner holes to establish the X pattern like in the larger blocks. Looking good!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Looks great to me! I only knit the biggest square once so I didn't know about the little square issue. I'll definitely remember that for when I make this myself.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Candy T said...

I just learned the "sliding loop" method myself a couple months ago. And I love it. It give circular crochet such a finished look. Now I am trying to learn the "magic loop" with knitting. Fiber arts are going loopy, so I have to try to keep up.

8:33 AM  
Blogger knitandcrochet said...

OOOO, I love it when I can help somebody! Can't wait to see the finished Babette.

Edie

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home