A Blast From the Past
Finally, this month as I was flipping through the new Twist Collective, I saw an ad for Textile Garden. I checked it out and found some buttons that looked perfect! I found another set of buttons that also looked like they would work, but they were a little smaller. I decided to order both because if the photos were off, one of them would work and worst case scenario, I would have to reknit the button hole band with smaller button holes. This wasn't really a big problem since I hadn't woven in the ends yet! (Laziness sometimes pays off.) I went to pay and realized the buttons were in England. (I would have noticed that the prices were in pounds, not dollars if I wasn't solely focused on the buttons.) Since these were the only buttons I'd found that looked like they would work, I decided to go for it. Shipping was super fast and I got them Wednesday afternoon. Both sets of buttons I ordered worked with this cardigan, but one set was big enough for the button holes already there. I started weaving in ends, sewed down the pocket linings and had it blocking Wednesday night before bedtime. Yesterday I added the buttons and here is my sweater now:
Heathered. The yarn is Fable Fibers Biography in Ruby. The buttons are Burgundy Shell Leaves from Textile Garden. After blocking I wasn't happy with top edges of the pockets. (You can see in the first picture how floppy they looked.) I decided to add a row of single crochet along that top edge to firm things up. It would have been easier to do this before I sewed down the pocket linings, but it wasn't too hard to do it after everything else was finished. I'm really glad I added that little edge. You can see the difference it made.