<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10582443\x26blogName\x3dPink+Lemon+Twist\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-8358867803839361769', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Sleeves - Not a Gauge Swatch



These are sleeves. They are not large matching triangular gauge swatches. I have learned my lesson and will no longer skip this all important part of knitting (at least until I feel like Gauge has gone off to bother other knitters, then I'll do sleeve swatches again. HA HA!) These are the sleeves for the Everyday Cardi, but I've made some modifications to the original pattern. After Googling the pattern name, I found that there were several critiques of the pattern: the sleeves were too narrow at the bottom for the width at the top (batwing sleeves) and the ribbing wouldn't come out so you could seam it invisibly with the original numbers in the pattern. So, I decided to tweak the pattern a bit. I changed the sleeves so they were wider at the cuff (it's a cardigan, so I want them to be a bit bigger anyway) and instead of just making them a drop shoulder style, I changed the sweater to a modified drop shoulder. This will get rid of some of the bulk in the underarm area but shouldn't mess with the oversized fit. I also adjusted the numbers a bit so that the K2, P2 rib would seam invisibly. For those of you that have never done this I'll explain how it works. As written, the pattern has you cast on in multiples of 4. K2, P2 rib is a pattern with a multiple of 4 so this seems logical. When you sew your side seams (and sleeve seams) you will have a K1, sewn next to a P1 at the seam, so the rib doesn't look continuous. If you add or subtract 2 stitches (now your number is a multiple of 4+2), you can work the rib K2, P2, ending with a K2. This way, when you sew your seams, you will have a K2 straddling the seam (the other K2's are the seam allowance) and anyone who has ever tried to sew a sweater together knows its easier to stitch between two knit stitches than it is to stitch between a K and a P. This is also why I always do my increases and decreases 2 stitches in from the edge - my edge stitches are normal stitches and I know exactly how they are supposed to look which makes seaming faster and neater looking. Just my little way of being obsessive compulsive about my knitting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Sounds like a great plan... But I don't think I could figure it out on my own..
I would love to do the everyday cardi, but I would have to figure out your modifications now that you mentioned the " drawbacks" of the origional Pattern.
I'll do a google to see if I can find it...
http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home