How many sleeves does this thing need?
I've been reknitting some sleeves for a sweater I thought I had finished last November. I had sewn it up and tried it on when I realized that the sleeves were completely weird. The ribbed part of the lower sleeve is 6 inches long and in the original pattern, they didn't start the increases until after the ribbing, which meant you had only about 9 or 10 inches to do all of the increases before you started sleeve cap shaping - and this is a pretty loose sweater. Naturally, it looked like leg-o-mutton sleeves which didn't look good at all. The sleeve cap shaping was also done strangely - they wanted me to bind off 2 stitches at the beginning of every row for like 30 times. The inside would have looked like stairsteps and would never have seamed nicely. I did tweak the sleeve cap shaping, but I didn't do it right, I just guessed, so the cap was also too tight which didn't help the overall look of the sweater. Once I realized I was going to need to redo the sleeves or I just wasn't going to wear it, I set the whole thing aside for a couple of months. I guess I had hoped that elves or something would come into the closet and fix it for me - they never do. So anyway, I pulled it out a while ago, took the sleeves off and frogged them, and now I'm reknitting them. Here's the kicker: I checked for errors in the pattern and there are none! I guess this is why the sweater is laying out by itself in the book, rather than being modeled. Also, the sleeve schematic in the pattern has nothing to do with the real sleeve pattern they give! So, I've rewritten the sleeve pattern with increases all up the sleeve and refigured the sleeve cap, which seems a little shallow as written anyway - even with all of the goofy bind offs. The pattern is the Tweedy Cashmere Pullover from A Knitter's Stash. Just from glancing at it, it has the look of something I could easily live in all winter, just an easy, relaxed sweater to toss on over a long sleeved tee and jeans. Nothing fussy, just simple to wear. Apparently not simple to make though. In case you're wondering, the yarn is Beaverslide Dry Goods wool yarn (they also have a wool/mohair) in Jersey Cream.
So now that I'm redoing the sleeves, I'm about 3/4 of the way up to the sleeve cap shaping (the other sleeve is on the other needle, it looks the same as the one in the picture) which I hope to reach today. I'd love to get these done, blocked and back on the sweater next week. Then the sweater that I thought I'd finished last November will finally be done!