I finished the first Trekking sock last night! I definitely needed something really simple to work on. I decided to work the foot in plain stockinette stitch instead of continuing on in the waffle stitch. No real reason behind the decision to change stitch patterns, I just decided to.
I had theoretically planned to make my socks identical and I made a note when I cast on for this first sock, where the pattern was in the yarn and where I put my slip knot. Unfortunately, I passed that spot in the repeat when I started my toe decreases. If I make the second sock match perfectly, I'll have to pull out almost a full repeat's worth of yarn to get to my starting place. I could of course use it at the second toe if I run out of yarn (in the right place for the repeat), but I think I'm just going to let the second sock start where it may. When I spin yarn for socks with handpainted rovings, I always have slightly different socks instead of identical twins and it's not like I'm using some really complex stitch pattern on these socks so I'm not losing that in the color differences.