<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d10582443\x26blogName\x3dPink+Lemon+Twist\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttps://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d4292445769315597913', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Friday, March 07, 2014


Yes, I’ve made my first amigurumis!  I decided to try crocheting this octopus.  (You don’t have to use him as a pincushion, you can just use him as an octopus.)  He looked pretty easy with my minimal crochet skills, although I did have to learn how to work the Single Crochet stitch and then I had to pay attention or I’d start working Double Crochet.
My first octopus (AKA Pink Octopus of Doom) was made with some Spud And Chloe Sweater in Jelly Bean (bright pink) on a 3.75mm hook (US F).  I only have 6mm safety eyes, and I think I got them a little close together on this one.  I had an issue with the “legs” as I was crocheting him - I was only getting six legs.  I counted out the stitch pattern and figured out how many stitches I’d need in the previous round and the pattern is correct, I just got bit by my recurring nemesis - Can’t Countitis.  Once I undid the attempted leg round and counted out the previous round (it was right), I put markers in to divide repeats and was able to get eight legs.  I knew if I made a six legged octopus, I’d never hear the end of it.  This is the only one on Ravelry so far - here’s the project page link.
Then Caleb wanted an octopus, so I crocheted him one from some Elann Peruvian Highland Wool (the worsted weight) in color 4414 on the same hook as above.  I got the eye position better on this one, but I still think it would look cuter with bigger eyes.  I got eight legs on the first try for this one!
Finally, I decided I needed an octopus for my keyring (why wouldn’t I?) so I grabbed some Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in Cherry (leftover from another project) and a 2.25mm hook (US B) and made a teeny tiny octopus!  I like the eye size on this one and since I wanted to add it to my keyring, I made a loop on top of his head.  I anchored the loop on the inside with a button to reinforce it.  Max finds the loop helpful to steal this tiny octopus - it’s the one he likes best and it’s going on the keyring ASAP (which will then hang on the key hook, out of Max’s range).
Here’s what they all look like together.
And here’s an overhead shot with a quarter for scale.

I’m pretty happy with how they came out, considering my remedial crochet skills!  I think they’re cute (but obviously still ferocious too)!

Have a great weekend!

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

<< Home